Ecological Practices and Awards
In Sheraton Buganvilias Resort® & Convention Center, we are interested in the environment, therefore we are rewarding our guests that make an effort to conserve the water, energy and other natural resources.
Any guest staying at a participating Marriott Bonvoy® hotel can opt to “Make a Green Choice” going without cleaning services for up to three days, with the exception of the checkout day.
¡Look at what a difference just one night can make!
Water37.2 Gallons * 37.2 gallons are 596 cups. This quantity is enough for a person to drink 2 cups a day for 1 year.
Electricity0.19 KWH * This energy can power a portable computer with Energy Star rate for 10 hours.
Natural Gas25,000 btu * This energy is enough to heat up a room of 400 square feet to 70° C for 4 hours, to an exterior temperature of 10° F.
Chemicals7 oz * Using less chemical products helps to generate less toxicity in the environment. And that is good for everyone.
* All quantities are estimates on the basis of the average size and use in a room.
Conservation of water and electricity:
- Intelligent irrigation practices.
- Collection and filtering of rain water for irrigation.
- Low water consuming toilets and urinals in public toilets.
- Intelligent mixing taps in public bathroom sinks.
- Equipment designed to save A/C energy.
- Closing of little occupied pylons.
Minimizing residual waste:
- Separation of solid urban waste and special management for recycling.
- Final destination of solid urban waste and of special management.
- Separation of dangerous waste.
- Final destination of dangerous waste.
- Sanitation of sewerage discharge
- Control of emissions in the atmosphere.
Environmental awareness practices:
- Sustainable meetings.
- Supporting of cleaning programs in the bay.
- Practical courses to near schools.
- Participation in the 60 Earth Hour program.
- Caring and vigilance of the Federal Maritime Terrestrial zone.
- Protection and vigilance of the endemic flower in the area.
Green KeyIs an international prize that was originated in Denmark in 1994. Nowadays it forms part of the certification programs of the International Organization Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE) and is the only environmental certification that is endorsed by the 4 most important Organizations on a global level: UNEP/PNUMA (Program of the United Nations for the Environment), OMT (World Organization of tourism), UNESCO (Organization of the United Nations for Education, Science and Culture), UICN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature). In Mexico this initiative in aligned with the National Development plan 2013-2018 as well as the National Tourist Policy and has the backing of institutions like the Mario Molina Centre, PROMEXICO, SEMARNAT, CONAGUA and SECTUR Green Key educates and empowers tourism stakeholders to modify unsustainable behaviors and to get involved in the important manner of the protection of their surroundings.
Tourism of environmental qualityThe tourism certification of environmental quality granted by the Federal Attorney’s office for Environmental Protection (PROFEPA) is a program to encourage participating businesses to improve their environmental performance, be more efficient and competitive in their production processes and to reduce the negative environmental impacts generated by their operations. The environmental audit’s goal is to know and analyze the situation that the business keeps, to identify opportunities to adjust and correct where there are conditions that could affect the environment.
- 2015 RE-CERTIFICATION – ENVIRONMENTAL TOURIST QUALITY
- 2012 RE-CERTIFICATION – ENVIRONMENTAL TOURIST QUALITY
- 2010 CERTIFICATION – ENVIRONMENTAL TOURIST QUALITY